Now that you've decided to preplan your end of life services, here is a list of things to consider :
Click here for a printable version of the Preplanning Checklist !
Before you start planning the details of your memorial or funeral service, please do the following:
- Create an emergency contact sheet filled with the names and telephone numbers of family and friends who will need to be notified of your death
-Provide notes and ideas for your obituary. Your family will want to shine a light on your life and highlight the facts you find most relevant to you.
-Choose the type of service you would like ito have. A funeral? A memorial service? After you have made that choice, these are some things to consider:
- Cemetery lot location
- Casket type; cremation urn type
- Vault or sectional crypt
- Type of service: religious, military, non-denominational
- select your pallbearers
- Choose your music, flowers, scripture or other readings that are special to you.
- Select the speakers , and give them ideas on what you would like to be said on your behalf.
- Choose which type of gifts you would like your family to receive (flowers, monetary donations, donations to a charity)
In regards to financial details, here is a checklist to get you started :
- Create a will
-appoint an Executor if you haven't already, and leave specific instructions on how to carry out your end of life service requests.
-Make arrangements with your family or an attorney for telephone and utilities services, and newspaper and magazine deliveries, to be cancelled.
- Make sure you pay in advance for cemetery and memorialization services. Also pay for speakers, flowers, and musicians in advance and consider setting up transportation for relatives who live out of town.